Terms & Conditions – Unacademy Compete
Unacademy Contest Term and Conditions (“Contest Terms”) is made available to you by M/s Sorting Hat Technologies Private Limited (collectively referred to as “us” “we” “Unacademy”). These Contest Terms govern the relationship between persons who wish to participate in contests that are made available and organized by Unacademy (“Contest(s)”) to the users of www.unacdemy.com and/or the Unacademy Apps (referred to as “Unacademy Platform”) either remotely or in person (collectively referred to as “you” ”your(s)” “Participant(s)”). The Participants and Unacademy shall be collectively referred to as Parties and individually as Party. The terms and conditions and privacy policies and other policies made available on the Unacademy Platform (“Platform Terms”) shall be valid and binding on all Participants. All capitalized terms not defined herein shall have the meaning assigned to it under the Platform Terms. Unacademy shall from time to time communicate contest specific terms and conditions that shall also be binding on the Participants (“Contest Specific Terms”). The Platform Terms, Contest Terms and any other Contest Specific Terms shall collectively be referred to as “Terms and Conditions”. By participating in the Contest, the Participant agrees to be bound by the Terms and Conditions
Eligibility and Enrolment
- In order to be a Participant in the Contests, the Participants must conform to the following eligibility criteria (unless specified otherwise) in addition to eligibility criteria in the Contest Specific Terms:
- an Individual;
- an Indian citizen;
- in India;
- legally eligible to enter into a contract;
- user of the Unacademy Platform;
- The Contests are open to participation by individuals only. Corporate entities, agencies and any non-human legal entities are barred from participating in the Contest. Employees, consultants, interns and educators of Unacademy are not allowed to participate in Contests conducted by Unacademy.
- The Participants may be required to pay a participation or enrolment fee in order to take part in the Contest the details of which shall be as specified in the Contest Specific Terms.
- Participants are not bound in any way to participate in the Contests. Any participation is voluntary, and the Contest is being made available purely on a best effort basis. Unacademy, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify the Participant from the benefits and Rewards of the Contest, if any fraudulent activity is detected or on any breach of the Terms and Conditions by the Participant.
Ranking and Rewards
- Each Contest shall have its own specific selection criteria, ranking and rewards system as specified in the Contest Specific Terms. Subject to the Contest Specific Terms, Unacademy may, at its sole discretion, choose to reward Participants who won the Contest (“Rewards”).
- Unacademy reserves the right at its sole discretion to modify, withdraw, suspend, extend, add reschedule or cancel the Contest or the Rewards under the Contests at any time without any prior written notice.
- The Participants understands that obtaining a high rank in any Contest does not automatically qualify them for Rewards under the Contest and shortlisting of Participants is based on selection parameters of Unacademy set out in the Contest Specific Terms, as determined by Unacademy in its sole discretion.
- The shortlisted Participants may be contacted and be required to submit additional information / documentation as may be essential for Unacademy to provision the Rewards. Unacademy does not accept any responsibility for any incorrect and/or incomplete communication details provided and/or delay in receipt of communication and/or non-receipt of communication.
- Finally, upon collection and verification of the required documentation (as required), Rewards shall be processed to the shortlisted Participants within timeline as maybe determined by Unacademy at its sole discretion.
- Unacademy shall have the sole discretion to reject the Participant or choose another Participant in place of the originally shortlisted Participant if: (a) the documents or details provided by the Participant are invalid/incorrect/incomplete/ misleading /untrue or not acceptable in the opinion of Unacademy; (b) the Participant has not conformed to any of the terms and conditions contained herein; (c) the Participant does not sign the consent form or any other documents required, if any, by Unacademy concerning the Contest; (d) any other reason as may be deemed appropriate by Unacademy.
- The process of selection, number of Participants shortlisted for the Rewards and the type or form of Reward are to be determined, and shall be subject to change, at the sole discretion of Unacademy and the decision of Unacademy shall be final and binding. The Participants are encouraged to check the Terms on a periodic basis to ensure that they do not miss out on any updates and modifications.
Consent and Waiver by Participants
- The Participant hereby consents to the use by Unacademy of his/her name, age, photograph, videos, voice recordings, rank, statements and/or testimonials (“Personal Attributes”) for the purpose of publication, advertising, promotion on its online platforms, including but not limited to the Unacademy Platform, and through any mode, medium, platform and/or format, including without limitation, in newspapers, magazines, other print media, on television, radio, internet and other electronic and/or in mailings for educational awareness.
- Any testimonial or statements provided by the Participant and any other details pertaining to the Contest, the Rewards they have won, their use of the Platform, content available on the Platform, shall be exclusively provided to Unacademy and the Participant warrants to that extent.
- Any marketing material created by Unacademy using a Participant’s Personal Attributes shall remain the sole property of Unacademy, and the Participant shall have no claim of any nature against the same. The Participant understands that the use of his/her Personal Attributes by Unacademy shall be made at its sole discretion without any further notice to the Participant. Unacademy shall have no obligation to consider Participant’s inputs or feedback on the use of his/her Personal Attributes.
- The Participant shall release, waive, and discharge claims of any kind or nature arising out of or relating to the use of his/her Personal Attributes against Unacademy or any person or firm authorized by Unacademy to publish the same in accordance with the terms hereof. Such release, waiver and discharge shall also extend to all group companies, affiliated companies, subsidiaries, shareholders, directors, officers, employees, agents and assigns of Unacademy and any publishers of the Personal Attributes in accordance with the terms hereof. Such a release shall be binding on the Participant, his/her respective successors, heirs, assigns, executors, administrators, spouse and next of kin.
- The Participant hereby confirms that the chance provided by Unacademy to be recognized as winner in the Contest(s) and delivery of Rewards if any, in accordance with these Contest Terms, is sufficient consideration for the use of Participant’s Personal Attributes by Unacademy in accordance with the terms hereof, and Unacademy shall have no liability to pay any consideration for any use of the Participant’s Personal Attributes in accordance with these Contest Terms.
General Terms and Conditions
- Information that is available on the official Contest page or communicated on Unacademy’s official social media handles shall be the only authentic and valid information with respect to the Contests. Unacademy shall not be responsible for any incorrect/misleading information relating to the Contest, presented/ displayed on any other source other than the Contest page on Unacademy Platform shall not be liable for any loss suffered by any Participants based on the representation, Terms, the information presented/displayed on any other source other than the Contest page on the Unacademy Platform.
- A Participant who has received a Reward for one Contest shall not be eligible for the Reward in the next edition of the same Contest, unless allowed specifically in the Contest Specific Terms. A Participant who has received a Reward under the sub-category of one Contest shall not be eligible for Rewards under another sub-category in the same Content irrespective of the Ranking.
- After the results are announced, Unacademy will conduct a thorough evaluation to determine if the Participants have conducted themselves in accordance with the Terms.
- If at any point in time it is brought to the attention or knowledge of Unacademy that the Participant have engaged in any unethical practices including but not limited to having prior access to the questions in the Contest, usage of any circumventing technology to manipulate the product algorithm or any act which will give the Participant an unfair advantage over other Participants, engaged in any form of mal-practice, Unacademy may at its sole discretion cancel any Reward or reward due to the Participant and bar the Participant for using any product or services offered by Unacademy.
- All Rewards are subject to the Participants adhering to the Terms and Conditions and shall be subject to the laws of India, including all the applicable tax laws.
- Unacademy has endeavored to make all reasonably practicable arrangements to minimize communication system difficulties or any other technical issues but can make no guarantee thereof and shall not be liable for any failures in the same. Unacademy shall not be responsible and/or liable in any manner whatsoever in case the Participant is unable to participate due any technical issues or due to the issues with their internet provider, hardware, facility provider, etc.
- Any Participant found participating in the Test through multiple accounts or in the event any person impersonates a Participant, such Participant(s) shall be disqualified immediately and shall not be entitled to any Rewards. The Participant shall be barred from participating in any future Contests, tests etc. at the sole discretion of Unacademy.
- Any Participant taking part in Contest and is declared winner in the Contest by Unacademy and is unable to fulfil any one or more eligibility requirements, as specified in the Terms shall be disqualified from receiving any Reward. Any communication, clarification, query, dispute in this regard by the Participant, or any of the legal heirs/guardians of the Participant in any manner shall not be entertained by Unacademy.
- Unacademy will not be responsible, in case anyone is unable to participate in the Contest on account of not having access to the Contest.
- Participant/s winning the Reward/s shall be contacted by Unacademy via email or any other mode of communication. Unacademy shall not be liable for any loss, claim, damage, expenses whether expressed, implied, real, or consequential incurred by the Participant due to participation, non-participation or otherwise in the Contest. Unacademy shall not be liable for any loss that occurs during the dispatch of the Reward to the Participant’s address Unacademy shall not be responsible for paying any applicable taxes, fee, charges, etc. related to the Reward.
- Any query regarding the Contest will be entertained only for 1 (one) month from date of the participation in the Contest. Post such timeframe, Unacademy will not entertain any correspondence or communication regarding the Contest from any person.
- Unacademy shall not be responsible for any deficiency in the Rewards and does not make a representation about the quality, make, performance, features, endurance, finishing, benefits, or fitness of the Rewards and neither does Unacademy endorse the services or goods provided by the manufacturers/service providers of the Rewards.
- Any disputes with respect to Contest shall subject to be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of India, without reference to principles of conflict of laws and the courts in Bangalore shall have the exclusive jurisdiction to determine any disputes arising out of, under, or in relation to, the Contest.
- The Participant shall indemnify and hold harmless Unacademy, its officers, employees, agents, licensees, etc against any and all damages, claims, losses, demands, actions, causes of action, suits, litigation, costs and expenses (including but not limited to, the publication of response(s) submitted by the Participant as a part of, or in association with the Contest without limitation, reasonable attorneys’ and consultants’ fees).
- Unacademy shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations caused by weather conditions, fire, flood, strike, hurricane, industrial dispute, war, hostilities, terrorist attack, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, pandemic and/or epidemic, acts of God or any other circumstances amounting to Force Majeure.
- Unacademy shall not be responsible for any loss or damage if Unacademy is required to discontinue or cancel the Contest in compliance with any law, ruling, order, regulation, requirement, or instruction of any Central/State Government or for any other unavoidable reason beyond its control. The Participants shall be informed of such discontinuance/cancellation as early as possible.
- The aggregate liability of Unacademy in case of any damage, loss, cost, claim, liability, or expense (including legal costs and expenses) caused to or incurred by any act, omission, or representation in respect of the Reward, shall not exceed any participation or enrolment fee paid for the Contest. Further, Unacademy shall not be liable to share the invoice of the Reward with the Participant at any given point of time whatsoever.
- Unacademy and/or its subsidiaries/affiliates shall not be under any obligation to the Participant in relation to the Contest and the Participant shall have no claims whatsoever against Unacademy and/or its subsidiaries/affiliates relating to the selection process, gratification, or the running of the Contest.
- Unacademy shall not be responsible for any errors or omissions in the terms and conditions contained herein. All information provided is provided “as is” without warranty of any kind. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, Unacademy disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including without limitation, implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement in respect of the Contest
- Unacademy shall have the sole discretion to discontinue / cancel the Contest or any part thereof at any point in time and the Participant shall not raise any claim due to such discontinuation or cancellation at any time whatsoever.
- Unacademy shall not be held responsible in case of a server shutdown or loss of Participants’ registration and/or other data. Unacademy shall not be responsible for any delay in receipt or non-receipt or incomplete or corrupt receipt of the registration or, other details of the Participant. Unacademy shall not be responsible for any technical difficulties or data corruption that may arise during the registration process. Further, Unacademy shall not be responsible and/or liable in any manner whatsoever in case the Participant is unable to register for participation in the Contest due to failure on part of the internet service provider, facility provider, etc.
Contest Specific Terms & Conditions – Unacademy Compete
- The Unacademy Compete (“Compete”) is a contest organized by M/s Sorting Hat Technologies Private Limited (“Unacademy”) and / or its Affiliate(s) from October 3, 2022 till November 1, 2022. Compete shall be governed by the Contest Terms and the following terms and conditions (“Compete Terms”) as well as the terms and conditions and privacy policies and other policies made available on www.unacdemy.com and/or the Unacademy Apps (referred to as “Unacademy Platform”). Compete Terms and terms and conditions on the Unacademy Platform shall be collectively referred to as “Terms”.
- There shall be no enrollment fee applicable to participate in Compete.
- Compete is a contest which encourages each Participant(defined below) to participate in Matches (defined below) with other Participants who are matched with each other on the Platform based on their ratings and other factors as determined by Unacademy.
- Each match is a live match and consists of five questions (“Match(es)”) and the winner of each Match is decided based on the number of correct answers. In case of a tie, the time taken to answer and the difficulty level of the questions are taken into account to decide the winner of a Match.
- Any person who meets the eligibility criteria (as provided below) and participates in Compete shall be considered a “Participant”.
- To participate in Compete, the Participant must be (i) an individual; (ii) an Indian citizen (iii) must have age and educational qualifications within the limits defined for eligibility of the specific exam that they have selected as their goals. Unacademy shall verify the information based on the criteria mentioned herein provided by the Participants. If any of these criteria are not met, Unacademy may, at its sole discretion, withhold any prizes or rewards.
- Compete is presently open for participation by Participants on the Unacademy Android app who have selected IIT JEE or NEET UG as their goals and/or such other categories as determined by Unacademy from time to time and communicated on the Platform.
- Participants’ performance on the Matches are monitored on leaderboards which rank Participants based on the number of Matches they have won.
- The top five (5) rankers on the main leaderboard at the end of each fifteen (15) days are eligible for Rewards provided they have played at least fifty (50) Matches in the preceding fourteen (14) days (“Winners”).
- Winners are eligible to receive the following Rewards:
- 1st prize: Laptop
- 2nd prize: Amazon voucher worth ₹10K
- 3rd prize: Amazon voucher worth ₹7.5K
- 4th prize: Amazon voucher worth ₹5K
- 5th prize: Amazon voucher worth ₹2.5K
- A Participant shall not be eligible to Rewards more than once under Unacademy Compete.
FAQs on Compete
- What are the rules of a Compete match?
A Compete match consists of 5 questions spread across multiple subjects. You and your opponent get 45-60 seconds to answer the question. In case a question is not answered within the set time limit, both the learners progress to the next question concurrently. Learners cannot go back to the attempted or skipped questions. At the end of a match, a winner is announced and the leaderboard is updated.
- How is the winner of a match decided?
The winner is decided based on three parameters: Accuracy, difficulty, and the time taken for all attempts. Accuracy is the primary parameter and the remaining two parameters are used for tie-breakers. The lower the time taken, the higher the chances to win a match. Correctly attempting difficult questions improves a learner’s chances to win the match.
- How would I know if I am winning or losing a match?
The system starts computing and showcasing the winner, on a real-time basis, right from the very first question of the match. The winner is represented with a Crown, just next to the learner’s name. The Crown keeps on moving between the learners based on their performance in the match.
- Which questions are fetched during a match?
Questions are sourced from a new set of chapters every month for Class 11th and Class 12th students. The syllabus for each month has been displayed in detail below. Class 13 / Dropper students compete on the entire syllabus throughout the year
- My opponent is not answering the questions. Should I continue the match?
Yes, you should continue answering the questions. There is a chance that your opponent is unsure of the correct answer and has chosen to skip the questions. It is also possible that the other learner might be experiencing internet issues.
- Can I join back a match after I quit it?
A match remains active till all the 5 questions are surfaced to at least one of the learners. If a match is active, both the learners can join back at any time. Joining a match is not possible once it ends.
- How am I matched with an opponent?
Learners with a similar level of preparation and ratings are usually matched with one another.
- Can I request a rematch with someone?
Once the match is over, you and your opponent get 5 seconds to start a rematch. If both of you agree to the rematch in these 5 seconds, a new match starts immediately. However, if only one learner agrees to a rematch, there is no rematch.
- What rating system is used in the leaderboard?
The Elo system is used to rate the learners on the platform. It takes into account the current rating and performance of you and your opponent. It will get updated after every Compete. Learners with higher Elo ratings have a higher rank on the leaderboard. In case 2 learners have the same rating, the player who wins more Competes is ranked higher. Your ranking would change based on the performance of other learners over time. Learners who compete regularly are more likely to stay on top of the leaderboard.
- How can I win prizes in Compete?
The top 5 learners on the Goal level leaderboard would receive the following awards:
Prizes are announced every 15 days. However, you need to play a minimum of 50 matches successfully in the preceding 14 days to be eligible for any of the prizes.
- 1st prize: Laptop
- 2nd prize: Amazon voucher worth ₹10K
- 3rd prize: Amazon voucher worth ₹7.5K
- 4th prize: Amazon voucher worth ₹5K
- 5th prize: Amazon voucher worth ₹2.5K